The other day, I contacted the office of Adam Vaughan, Toronto City Councillor for Ward 20, where Clarence Square Park is located.
Today, I received this reply:
On behalf of Councillor Vaughan, thanks for your e-mail and for getting in touch with our office.
The plans for revitalization of this park have been underway for several years. A design has been prepared by The Planning Partnership, the same landscape architecture firm that was also involved in the recent revitalization of Victoria Memorial Square, near Portland St and Wellington St W.
I thought I’d share with you all a few headlines from the news this morning.
From the Winnipeg Free Press on July 31, 2010:
- Teenager stabbed at party
- Family pepper sprayed
- From the same story…
- Just before 2 a.m., a lone male with a handgun robbed the Lincoln Motor Hotel vendor in the 1000 block of McPhillips Street. The man made off with an undisclosed amount of cash.
- And just after 2 a.m., a 19-year-old woman suffered multiple stab wounds to her upper body in the 500 block of Osborne.
- And a 40-year-old man was stabbed in an altercation with a female known to him in the 800 block of College Avenue just before 5 a.m.
- Inmate accidentally set free
And people wonder why I want to leave Winnipeg.
Update: The dates are confirmed. Ten-digit dialing becomes mandatory on October 20, 2012 with the new area code being introduced on November 3, 2012.
I read on the Winnipeg Free Press tonight that Winnipeg will be getting a new area code in 2012 – Manitoba’s new area code: 431.
This also means that at that time, we’ll follow the leads of areas Ontario, Alberta and BC that will have to start 10-digit dialing.
Here are some tidbits about the tentative implementation plan from the Free Press Article:
- A second area code will come into place between May and October or November of 2012.
- The new area code will be 431.
- Telephone subscribers will have to dial the appropriate area code and the existing seven-digit number to make a local call.
- The first 431 numbers will likely be assigned in early 2013 to new cell phone customers.
- New landline customers will get their numbers with the 431 area code in late May 2013.